CareerSource Broward's Start-Up Now is a unique entrepreneurship training program in South Florida that helps you bring your innovative ideas to life. We partner with the Innovation Hub @ Broward College to bring you a demanding and profitable hands-on learning experience that will challenge you. In this program, you will:
- Determine your idea’s viability and learn how to write a rock-solid business plan and develop a great pitch
- Use the latest and proven methodology
- Receive guidance and mentorship from professionals and successful entrepreneurs
- Save thousands of dollars on a formal education, while earning 12 college credits and a technical certificate in Entrepreneurship from Broward College
- Pursue an opportunity to pitch for seed funding from the J. David Armstrong, Jr. President Emeritus Student Venture Fund
Next Session Begins First Quarter 2020!
How The Program Works
- We start by introducing you to key concepts in entrepreneurship, marketing and finance that you'll want to know to give you a comfort level when speaking to investors and others.
- Next, we help you determine product-market fit using a proven methodology and a framework of accountability.
- If you have that fit, you move on to writing your business plan and developing your pitch - facilitated by a successful serial entrepreneur and with the advice and mentoring of an experienced entrepreneur, investor or C-level professional.
- Finally, we begin holding you accountable to what you said you would do as you participate in your first CEO peer group.
- You launch your very own business!
Start-Up Now Application Process
- Must be 18 years or older and reside in either Broward, Miami-Dade or Palm Beach County (males must be registered with Selective Service)
- Have an innovative idea for starting a business, especially if it’s in technology (tech, financial, healthcare, social networking, gaming, etc.) or an innovative product or service.
- The “drive and commitment” to get it done
- You must be able to support yourself during the entire duration of the seven-month program
- Your work hours/demands should not interfere with the projects and coursework
- Days (all hours will be in the evening): First four weeks – 2 nights a week (TBD) – 6 to 9 p.m. / remaining 26 weeks
– 1 night a week (Wednesdays) – 6 to 10 p.m.
Simply go to our online application and complete it. (Please note that Start-Up Now is no longer accepting applications at this time, as the next session begins first quarter 2020.)
Submit color copies of the required, signed documentation listed below:
- Your resume
- Color copy of your DD-214 (if a veteran)
- Color copy of your proof of Selective Service Registration. Must be registered with the Selective Service System if born male on or after Jan. 1, 1960. (Go to www.sss.gov, then click “Registration” then “Check Registration.")
- Color copy of your signed Social Security card.
- U. S. citizens – color copies of your driver’s license AND U.S. issued passport OR birth certificate.
- Non-citizens – color copy of your resident card OR work permit authorization
- Proof of Residency - Refer to Section #2 on this linked document to see what documents are required prior to starting the program in order to prove residency. Key points:
- Official college or high school transcripts – have these sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to Broward College Admissions, 111 E. Las Olas Blvd., Bldg. 33, Room 219, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301
The following forms must also be filled out and signed prior to participating in the program
- Acknowledgement Form – Innovation Hub
- Personal Information and Emergency Contacts Form
- Signed Participation Agreement
- Audio/Video/Print Release Form
- Records Release/Consent Form
- FERPA Release Form (you must check “Academic Grades”, “Academic Records” and “Registration”)
If selected to attend our orientation, you will be notified by email. Invitation to this orientation session does not imply acceptance into the program, but attendance is required.
Submit color copies of the required, signed documentation in any of the following ways:
- In person, mail or leave off for: Doug Saenz, Start-Up Now Project Manager, at either: 111 E. Las Olas Blvd., 11th Floor, For Lauderdale, FL 33301 or at the front desk at the CareerSource Broward Administrative Office, 2890 W. Cypress Creek Rd., Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33309
- Email: email@example.com
Have Questions About Start-Up Now?
For more information about Start-Up Now, contact Doug Saenz, program manager, at (954) 495-4346, ext. 2, or at firstname.lastname@example.org.